If you have lost a loved one this year, especially in the recent past, the start of the New Year may be the perfect beginning to make some changes that will help you manage your grief as the months progress. Here are a dozen suggestions for New Year's Resolutions that may bring you comfort as you move forward with your life and your memories.
1. Be honest with how you feel, not only with others, but with yourself.
2. Speak freely, your loved one's name.
3. Live in a way that your loved one would have wanted you to.
4. Support someone else.
5. Seek professional help and learn about the process of grief.
6. Be open to happiness and let go of guilt when you feel joyful or are enjoying life (this one is hard).
7. Give away belongings that only increase your grief.
8. Journal on a regular basis or blog if you feel like sharing your thoughts with others.
9. Donate your time or financial support to a cause that was important to your loved one.
10. Read more, find a hobby, walk more, learn something new.
11. Get more sleep
12. Speak your mind and don't feel like you have to be strong. Don't be afraid to reach out to someone else.
It's a New Year, a new beginning, resolve to make it the best it can be.