FEMA OFFERS FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
FEMA OFFERS FUNDS TO COVER FUNERAL EXPENSES TO FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOST LOVED ONES TO COVID-19.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is reimbursing certain funeral expenses to qualified families who have lost loved ones due to COVID-19. Applications to be considered for financial assistance on expenses incurred after January 20, 2020 are now being accepted. Details are available online, however applications are only available by phone. Initially, FEMA expects lines to be very busy, however, there is no deadline to apply and they hope to accommodate callers as best as possible.
The website provides very detailed information and a long list of expected questions for those interested in applying. We highly recommend reading through all of the information prior to calling in. To qualify you must meet these four requirements.
- The death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
- The death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to COVID-19.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
There are certain documents that are required which must be on hand during the application process. These are all listed on the site and include, but are not limited to:
- Official Death Certificate
- Funeral Expenses Documents
- Proof of funds received from other sources
Please note, that while we can share this information with you, Hilgenfeld Mortuary staff cannot apply for our families. This must be done on an individual basis. We have also included a link on the front page of our website to take you directly to the information you will need to proceed.
For details please visit: https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/economic/funeral-assistance